Dopamine Makes Gamblers Take Bigger Risks
Research has found that higher levels of the dopamine a brain chemical might increase risk taking behaviour for healthy people. They say that it is very much like the dopamine-boosting drugs, have been shown to do for people with Parkinson's disease.
Compulsive gamblingResearchers in British discovered that by raising dopamine levels in adults that are healthy led to them taking much bigger risks when they gamble. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter drug that is associated with reward-based learning. A Previous research linked drugs that increase dopamine levels, such as L-DOPA, to compulsive gambling for patients who have Parkinson's disease. This new study was conducted on 30 people. They were given a choice of safe and risky gambling options that could resulted in monetary gains or losses. This was done after they were given L-DOPA and also after receiving an inactive placebo. The participants who were given L_DOPA were found to take more risks to achieve bigger rewards after they received the L-DOPA, and they found that it did not happen with the placebo. The L-DOPA, however, did not affect how often the volunteers took risks after a potential loss. The study was published in the July 8 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience.
Rewards more appealingParticipants were happier winning a small reward while they were on L-DOPA than on the placebo. They were happier winning a large reward instead of a small reward while they were on placebo, but t5hose on L-DOPA were happy whether the reward was small or big. Robb Rutledge, the study leader said That L-DOPA made people see that potential rewards were more appealing, however, it not affect the participants' perception of possible losses. The findings offer a new insight into how the dopamine levels will affect the decision-making and emotion, according to Nathaniel Daw, who is a neuroscientist at the New York University in New York City, he was not involved in the study. He continued that the study could help explain some of the gambling and impulse control problems, and aspects of mood disorders.
- Incentive Plan August 25, 2020
- They Say Everything Comes in Threes August 25, 2020
- Thoughts on the New Welcome Slots Casino August 25, 2020
- Fans Excited About Guns N' Roses Slots August 25, 2020
- Pragmatic Play has been Granted a Class 4 License by The Malta Gaming Authority August 25, 2020
- Murdoch Newspapers backs Online Betting in England and Ireland August 25, 2020
- Dedicated Live Casino Areas Launched by Evolution for Genting and Crockfords August 25, 2020
- Fika Casino Hot Games August 23, 2020
- Phantom August 23, 2020
- Two New Microgaming Online Slots August 5, 2020